Monday, March 31, 2008
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Friday, March 28, 2008
Sunday, March 23, 2008
Saturday, March 22, 2008
Friday, March 21, 2008
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Outside, listening to the band at Sharky's.
Mom and I went shopping today. We had a great time. The best TJ Maxx EVER is here in Venice and we LOVE shopping there. It is huge and even has a furniture department. Mom and I spent just over 4 hours there today! We bought TONS of new books for Tate and got several other odds and ends. Then, we went to a restaurant and ate an appetizer to re-energized for another 2 hours of shopping. It was great to shop with Mom and have the guys stay home with Tate! Then, when we got home, we all loaded up and went to Sharky's for supper. MMMMMMM!!! We love Sharky's. We went out on the beach and took some pictures and then ate a fabulous dinner before heading home. Everyone is now in bed and I am heading there shortly. I can't believe that tomorrow is our last full day here! :( We are so sad! The weather has been to die for and we have had so much fun watching Tate soak up all of the new surroundings. Sean and Dad have golfed a couple of times (and are going tomorrow too) and we have done a ton of resting and relaxing. We are going to soak up every second of the rest of this fabulous vacation!!!
"WHOA!!!! Look at this big shell!!!"
We had a great day on Monday. I truly think it was the best day of Tate's life...I am not kidding! He was in heaven. He loved the beach! He ate (and I really am not exaggerating) about 1/2 pound of sand. He managed to somehow swallow about 3 shells the size of dimes as well. He was so fasinated by the water, but was dangerously brave. He ablolutelt DID NOT want us to hold his hand while the waves were pounding in and knocking him over. He would have ran full speed into the cold ocean water and been swept off to sea if we would have let him. He loved it, by the time we left, we could not stop him from filling his mouth with handfulls of sand. I started thinking that this was no longer very healthy, so we headed home and got in the pool. Tate skinny dipped, but we all decided not to join in on that! Tate swam in the pool and then relaxed in the jacuzzi for about an hour. He was SO TIRED from his fun filled day in the sun that he conked out the moment his head hit the pillow! It was such a great day!
Monday, March 17, 2008
We didn't get in until almost 11:30 pm on Friday night and then arrived home around 1:00am. We headed to bed and Tate awoke (too early!) to discover he was in heaven! :) He has been running all over the house babbling and squeeling in delight. He has thouroughly enjoyed swimming and would stay in the water all day if we let him. I have gotten TONS of pictures, but have not gotten time to put them on the computer.
Mom and Dad's flight was delayed (12 hours!) and I drove to Ft Myers to pick them up at the airport Saturday night (well I guess it was actually Sunday morning) at 3:00am! We didn't get back to the house until 4:00am! Needless to say, Sean got up with Tate and I slept in and then when Tate napped, so did I! I was TIRED! The guys still got a round of golf in and Mom and I got some shopping in as well. We went out to the Tiki Bar and had an amazing dinner (Sean had the BIGGEST King Crab legs EVER...pictures to come!) and then came home and played Skip Bo until about midnight. It was a great day!
Today we are going to the beach after the guys get back from golfing and then tomorrow we are renting a boat for the day. The weather has been beautiful with temperatures in the mid 80's and lots of sun!
I will try to get pictures on here today or tomorrow sometime!
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Sean and I are both going into work for a few hours in the morning...we get off at noon. Our plan is to meet at home and get everything loaded and the house closed up and then go to pick up Tate at daycare and go right from there to the airport. We don't get into Tampa until 11:00 pm and then have an hour drive (we have reserved a shuttle service) to the house. We are hoping that Tate will sleep on the plane a little bit and then on the car ride, but we'll see. Mom and Dad fly in on Saturday afternoon and Sean will go to Sarasota to pick them up and bring them back. Then, it will be a week of fun and relaxation (as relaxing as it can be with a 17 month old!!!) in the sun! I am planning on bringing my camera cord so that I can blog from there, but we'll see if I end up getting around to it...I am going to try. Hopefully the pictures of our albino family in the bright Florida sun don't blind you! Ha!
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
HERE'S HOW YOU PLAY. ONCE YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED YOU HAVE TO WRITE A BLOG OF TEN WEIRD, RANDOM THINGS, FACTS OR HABITS ABOUT YOURSELF. AT THE END, YOU CHOOSE FIVE PEOPLE TO BE TAGGED, LISTING THEIR NAMES AND WHY YOU CHOSE THEM TO BE TAGGED. DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE THEM A COMMENT "YOU'RE IT" AND TO READ YOUR BLOG. YOU CAN'T TAG THE PERSON WHO TAGGED YOU. SINCE YOU CAN'T TAG THAT PERSON BACK, LET HIM OR HER KNOW WHEN YOU'VE POSTED YOUR BLOG SO HE OR SHE CAN READ YOUR ANSWERS.
1. When I was 18 I got my tongue pierced...twice. I had it pierced once and then went home to Muscatine to visit my parents (who said that all funds would be cut off if I got it pierced) for a couple of hours before I went to hang out with friends. I had it pierced for a couple of months at that point so I figured I could take it out for a couple of hours and it would go back in just fine. I was wrong, I couldn't get it back in. SO, instead of looking at that as a sign that I shouldn't have it pierced, I went back home (to Cedar Falls) and got it pierced again! Ouch! I had it pierced for 5 years before I took it out. I kind of think it's icky now, so I guess you could say I have changed quite a bit since then.
2. I have 3 tattoos. Another product of my wilder days.
3. I can say the alphabet backwards. I worked on it for days when I was about 12 years old and was so proud once I got it!
4. My family says I have "monkey toes" because I can spread my toes really far apart and I can pick things up quite easily with my feet.
5. I never knew I had naturally curly hair until I was in cosmetology school and started learning more about hair. I always thought my hair was just really frizzy. It's amazing to me now that I never knew because it's hard for me to even get it straight these days!
6. I always knew I wasn't going to be able to get pregnant. I have said it for YEARS to my family and they always just brushed it off and thought I was just paranoid, but deep down I knew that I wouldn't be able to get pregnant. I may have a little bit of ESP! Ha. :)
7. I secretly wish sometimes that Tate would sleep in bed with us! I know it's not a great habit and it's a blessing that Tate prefers going to sleep on his own and sleeping in his room alone, but I can't help it. I wish that I could lay in my bed and cuddle with him or that we could take naps together. The second he gets into our bed, he thinks it's play time, he doesn't even understand the concept of sleeping with Mommy and Daddy.
8. I've never used a lawn mower, never mowed an inch of grass, or even ever turned on a lawn mower...I don't think I would even know how to. I plan to continue this trend! :)
9. I LOVE milk...I could drink a gallon every day if I didn't restrain myself. MMMMMMMM!!!
10. I still like to cuddle with my Mom. ;) I like to cuddle with my sister too, she LOVES to cuddle with me! We spend lots of time cuddling when we're together.
Sara Knutson - I have a feeling she has some interesting facts from her past ;)
Lora DeCook - Because she needs to blog again...it's been FOREVER!
Gretchen Paricka - She's due for another blog as well!
Sara Butler - I don't think she's been tagged yet and almost all of my blogging friends have already been tagged!
Becky Dirks - She hasn't been tagged yet either!
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Tate has a love for all things he can ride. This truck is not meant to be ridden, but Tate does not care, he loves to sit on it and "ride" it.
Monday, March 10, 2008
Tate LOVES pineapple. Tonight he was eating his pineapple after dinner and he was being such a ham! He was putting his paper plate that was covered in pineapple juice on his head and trying to get us to laugh at him. He ended up soaking wet with pineapple juice. Even though he smelled good, we headed right to the bath to get him cleaned off. He'll do anything to get a rise out of us these days!
Saturday, March 08, 2008
Friday, March 07, 2008
Thursday, March 06, 2008
Monday, March 03, 2008
Melissa and I went to a Mark Schultz concert at our church last night. It was amazing and very touching. I didn't even know that Mark Schultz was adopted and is a big advocate for adoption. He told his touching story and I bawled. He is such an amazing talent, person and Christian. Here is a video of his song that he wrote for his birth mother. Kind of ironic that when I searched this video I found that it has a Bethany Christian Services advertisement in it!
Saturday, March 01, 2008
I am writing this just because it has been weighing particularly heavy on my heart these last couple of weeks. I have been told, "it's just not the right time" or "you're young, you have plenty of time" or "you have to be realistic, you can't do this right now" or "just pray about it and it will all work out as it should". I have been praying constantly and I just feel that my heart gets more and more heavy with the feeling that my second child is out there somewhere. Maybe he/she is not born yet, but I feel my child growing in my heart just like we felt Tate growing in our hearts from the moment we decided we were definitely going to adopt; which also happened to be the same month he was conceived.
I have been struggling so much with the fact that it is not as easy for us to grow our family as it is for others. I am embarrassed to admit that I have again been feeling that it is not fair that we can't just say, "okay, we want to have our second child, let's start trying to get pregnant". I am not saying that I wish I could get pregnant, I am absolutely passionate about the blessing of adoption, and will not feel at all like I am 'missing out' if I don't have a biological child. The fact that we can't just decide to have a baby and not have to worry about all of the expense that go along with it is what I am talking about. Our health insurance doesn't pay for us to adopt, but if we were able to get pregnant, we could have another child and not have to worry about paying tens of thousands of dollars to deliver it. I am complaining and I am sounding ridiculous I know, but these are the feelings I have been struggling with. This is me being completely honest. This is me not trusting enough in the Lord's plan for my life, not allowing Him to take the wheel, me wanting to be in control, me being selfish. I do believe God created me to be an adoptive mother, I do believe that Tate was created for us and that he came into our lives at the perfect time, God's time. For some reason, my heart keeps telling me that it is time again, that God is preparing me for another child. I will wait, I will pray for patience, and I will pray to follow God's heart and not my own.
One you do not remember, the other you call mother.
Two different lives shaped to make your one.
Once became your guiding star; the other became your sun.
The first one gave you life, and the second taught you to live it.
The first gave you a need for love, the second was there to give it.
One gave you a nationality, the other gave you a name.
One gave you a talent, the other gave you an aim.
One gave you emotions, the other calmed your fears.
One saw your first sweet smile, the other dried your tears.
One sought for you a home that she could not provide.
The other prayed for a child - and he hopes were not denied.
And now you ask me through your tears,
The age old question unanswered through the years;
Heredity or environment - which are you a product of?
Neither my darling.
Just two different kinds of love.