Friday, February 15, 2013

a healthier me...


For a couple of years now I have watched my carbs....for the first year, I was strict and lost a lot of weight.  I even started running and felt great!  I ran a 5K when I had never run an entire mile without stopping before.  It got hard though.  The low carb/no carb diet is just not a lifestyle change.  I need a lifestyle change.  After losing a bunch of weight, over the course of the 2nd year I would yo yo on and off the low carb diet and from the fall until the beginning of this year, I had gained about 20lbs back of what I had lost.  So depressing.  We now had 2 more children, both with appointments and needs beyond what I ever knew I could handle.  My own weightloss and health got put on the back burner.  I am not okay with that.

I new friend who I am so grateful I met and have grown a friendship with over the course of the last few months told me about her husband and how Weight Watchers changed his life.  He now works for the company as well.  I met with him at the Weight Watchers store in Davenport and picked his brains, was completely honest about my hesitations, asked every question I could think of.  I left feeling excited about changing my life with the help of Weight Watchers.  I have done Weight Watchers before...about 10 years ago.  I lost weight too, but I wasn't ready then, I wasn't married with a family and didn't realize at that time how unhealthy I was, nor did I feel as though I had a major reason to be healthy.  I know it sounds bad, but it's true.  Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking.  I am different now...I am ready.  I have a family that I need to be healthy for and I want to be healthy for myself!  I want to change my life, not just lose a few pounds with a fad diet that is in no way realistic in the long term.

So a couple of days ago, I registered for my 3rd 5K (I walked the 2nd one, so this will be the 2nd one I hope to run) and on Monday I am joining Weight Watchers.  Like full force joining...doing it right...all in...commited to doing it the RIGHT WAY.  I am going to attend meetings and track my points and start running again.  I cannot wait!  I am ready for this.  Honestly, my biggest fear is not being able to find the time to go to weekly meetings...and I want to do that, I want to be held accountable.

Every 2 weeks Sean and I do a big grocery trip to stock up on everything for our menu for the following 2 weeks and typically, aside from produce, we don't have to buy anything else for the next 2 weeks.  So today I stocked up on tons of fruits and veggies and lots of things that I haven't been able to eat because they were too high in carbs.  It felt so good to chow down on fruit tonight.  Oh my goodness, I have missed fruit!!!

Looking forward to continuing my journey to a healthier me.  I am grateful I did the low carb diet and that it helped me to jump start my weightloss.  I wish I could have maintained all of the weight I had lost, but I am still over 50lbs down from my highest weight I was at about 2 years ago, so I am not going to get too down on myself.  It's a new beginning for me now!

1 comment:

sarak said...

Finally getting a chance to catch up on your blog. Good for you! Maybe in Florida we can go running:) Gotta burn off the calories we consume which Im sure will be lots!:)