Sunday, May 04, 2008

Ordinary Moments

I was thinking today that so many people take something as simple as time with their family for granted. I used to! I never realized what a luxury it was to have an entire day with my husband and son to just be together until now. My amazing, fabulous, wonderful husband decided to take a personal day today! WOOOOHOOOOO!!! It was such a BEAUTIFUL day! I needed a family day BADLY as I was getting a bit down in the dumps. To top it all off, it was 70 and sunny out which just made it all the more wonderful! We went to church, ate lunch, did dishes, did laundry, went to Chris and Brenda's to drop a couple of things off, went out to eat with them, ran to Target, gave Tate a bath and put him to bed. Nothing extraordinary happened, but it was an extraordinary day! I am refreshed and happy. I feel SO BLESSED to have these 2 amazing men in my life that I have the honor of calling my husband and my son!

As we were driving in the car on our way home from Target, I realized...I never used to enjoy the "simple" things in life as much as I do now. Things like, just "being" together, a smile exchanged between Sean and Tate, sitting in church with Sean's arm around my shoulder, spending time together doing chores, the things that most would call ordinary. I realized that this was God's way of teaching me this. While I have been so focused on how bummed out I am about not having as much time with my family, God has been placing in my life, these little moments with my family that I will always remember and cherish. Moments that a short year ago, I would not have ever thought twice about cherishing because they were so often presented to me. How could I have ever let those moments pass me by without thanking God for them?! I took them for granted. I am so grateful that God has helped me to realize that I can no longer take any moment for granted. Spending time with my family has been more precious in this last year, now that I am able to recognize the value of it. And it is truly priceless. I long for the day that I will be able to count on more family time, but while I wait for that day, I will cherish every moment I have with these two men and allow each moment, whether ordinary or extraordinary to leave a lasting imprint on my heart!

No comments: