Friday, January 12, 2007

Since Florida...

Tate has had some troubles sleeping since we got home. I don't know what else to do except just move into Mom and Dad's place in Florida. :) Mom and Dad, can we???? It's for a good cause...it's so your grandson will be happier and more rested, it's not at all for our pleasure!

So Tate has been having these sessions (I am talking like 2 or 3 hour sessions) where he is screaming bloody murder and red faced and dry heaving from crying so hard. It all started 2 nights ago. Tate WOULD NOT SLEEP, I mean, he was up screaming in my arms all night. He was inconsolable...NOTHING would make him stop and believe me, we tried everything! I was exhausted from not sleeping a wink and had an emotional break down to Sean about how I can't stand to see Tate like that and I can't function on no sleep and I think something is wrong with him and so on and so forth. My wonderful husband took the day off and watched Tate while I slept to catch up. When I awoke, Tate was still a crying mess and could not be consoled. SO, we made an appointment with his doctor and took him in right away. After much checking and poking and prodding and listening, our doctor said that he thinks Tate is colicky (sp?) or has acid reflux. He said that he thinks it's colic though. I couldn't believe my ears...my perfect angel couldn't possibly have colic just like that. I mean, just a week ago, he barely ever cried at all! The doctor said that it comes on that fast though. Well, I still am in denial about that. I think it's more likely to be acid reflux than colic. Also, he hadn't pooped in over 2 days. Well, he finally pooped last night and then had a better night than the night before, but still not a good one and now today he has barely made a peep and has been all smiles. I am praying that it was a fluke and he was just needing to poop or something. Who knows... Hopefully he'll be back to his normal, happy self.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennie,
I can sympathize with you! I am so exhausted. Ava was sleeping so good. I was bragging about what a good little sleeper she was at night. Last night she was awake what seemed like the entire night. However, unlike Tate she wasn't screaming the entire time. I just can't figure it out. I tried sleeping today while she did but that just never quite works out like I wish it would. I hope your nights and days get better. Hopefully he isn't colicky. How do they know for certain if a baby is colicky? Well good luck and if you ever need someone to talk to please call me. I know what you are going through. I think how am I ever going to do this and go back to work. I am dreading the day. I already cry about it and its over a week a way.
Can't wait to meet Tate! Good luck!

Lora

Beckysblog said...

Isn't he a little old for colic?
I agree with you - its a passing thing.

He'll get there. When you are living in those sleepless times it seems like life will never be normal again. But I promise it will!

In a few months, you might even have the crazy thought that you actually miss getting up in the middle of the night...like I said, its crazy - but you'll think it! :)
sweet dreams and prayers

Jennie Peakin said...

Lora,
I definitely do need to call you because I know what you're going through too! People always say, "sleep when they sleep", but it's so much easier said than done! It seems like just as I thought Tate was creating a pattern with something, it would change. His patterns have seemed to last about a week before he decides he's sick of that pattern. I remember bragging a couple months ago about how Tate was sleeping so well too! Boy, did that change fast! I still don't think he's colicky...he had a great day today. We'll see I guess.

Becky,
I thought Tate was a bit old for colic too, but my doctor said he wasn't. And I agree...it will be CRAZY if I ever miss getting up in the night! :) I know that you know what you're talking about as you've been through it a few times, but I don't know if I could ever miss getting up in the night. I am sure I'll miss Tate being this young though. I already miss him being so tiny and fragile...he's growing up SO fast!!!