Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Proud vs. Humble

I was going through some blogs that were linked on blogs I check frequently and found a post on one about being humble as opposed to being proud. It was convicting. It talked about how there is no in between...if you are not humble, then you are proud.
This is something I need to work on.
Below are a few comparisons of one who is humble/proud.
  • Self conscious/Not concerned with self at all
  • Feel confident in how much they know/Humbled by how much they have yet to learn
  • Defensive when criticized/Receives criticism with an open, humble heart
  • Compare themselves with others & feel deserving of honor/Compare themselves to the Holiness of God and feel a desperate need for mercy
Think about it...how often are you self conscious? Me? ALL THE TIME!
Do you ever feel good when someone comments on how knowledgeable you are in a certain area? I do!
And let's not even get started on getting defensive when criticized.
What about comparing yourself to others...do you ever think, "how could they do that! I would NEVER do anything like that", or do you ever feel good about yourself for doing something good that you know many wouldn't have done? I know that there have been many times when I've compared myself to others instead of comparing myself to the Holiness of God. It is our goal to become more Christlike right? Not to compare ourselves against other people. And no matter how "good" we are in our own eyes or even the eyes of others, it is not those eyes we should be looking to...we should be looking up. We are all sinners and no matter how many good deeds we do, we are all desperately in need of mercy. I sure am!
I do have a lot to work on, but I am working and will continue to do so...certainly for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

Candi said...

There is nothing you wrote that I was not already aware of BUT, I am not saying I do what I do right by any means.... I just know how very far I have yet to go... The work here on earth is never done till we are taken to our eternal home. Very good reminder of my sins... my MANY sinful ways!! UGH! We need to continue to fight those evil ways.... it is not always easy...whew!! Good words to hear often I know!! Thanks!!
Love you,
Mom