Tuesday, February 23, 2010

a trip to Haiti and Africa

Just found out a couple of hours ago that my Dad is leaving for Haiti on Friday. They called him today and asked if he could leave tomorrow. That was a little short notice, but he managed to get things worked out to leave on Friday. I haven't talked to him yet, just my sister. These are the words from her blog about his trip...

Dad is heading to Haiti on Friday with Mercy Ships. He has had his paperwork in for weeks and has just been waiting for a call from them. They called this afternoon and asked if he could come tomorrow. They are in great need of an anesthesia person immediately. Like they said...tomorrow. After much scrambling, he is on a flight out on Friday. He is flying into Port au Prince and will be working in a MASH tent in the city. They informed him that he would not have access to monitors or anesthesia machines. He will be using techniques from the dark ages. And I'm pretty sure he can't wait to get there and get busy. He'll be staying until March 10. They also told him to bring a cot. The rainy season is approaching and a sleeping bag would not be sufficient. He'll be bringing his own medical supplies as well.

And Cassie heads to Sierra Leon, Africa on Monday. My Dad and sister will both be in very far away places helping some amazing people in very different ways at the exact same time. I am proud to call them my dad and sister.

Please pray for safe travels for both of them as well as safety on their trips. Pray that all of the people they come in contact with will witness God's love through them.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Yes, I am very proud of them!! There is so much need in those countries! I am praying for ALL areas! All I can wrap my mind around that is.... so much to try to grasp right now. All happened so fast for Larry... I knew it would be this way but still, it is quick!!

sarak said...

I will pray for both of them. They are amazing to be willing to do this to help so many people!