Monday, March 02, 2009

dishwasher

Tate loves to "help" do dishes. Sean is much more patient than I in letting him "help". Sean gets the step stool out for him and lets him do his thing while he does the dishes. I love this about Sean. We do things so differently with Tate, but it is a good thing. He can experience more that way.

I am kind of (well, not kind of...absolutely) a control freak. I expected this might be a challenge...even a problem when Sean and I decided to have a family. I thought it would be hard for me to let him do things his way while I do things mine (which most of the time, I think is the "right" way). It has been a challenge at times to bite my tongue, but as the last 2 years have gone by, I've found that it has been beneficial to Tate...and to me. It's taught me to give up control a little (when actually, I know that I am not the one in control at all!), taught me that my way is definitely not always the best way and allowed Tate to be exposed to things that have helped him to grow and learn...things that he may not have been exposed to if he was only doing things my way. So maybe doing dishes isn't really a big deal, but actually it's amazing the things that a child can learn by doing these day to day small tasks. I am so grateful that Sean and I are different in the things that we do with Tate. When it's important, we stick together, we are a team. A team has members with different roles though and I am so grateful that's how our team works.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute!! Hope he continues to "WANT" to do dishes!! ;- )

Sara said...

It's the same way with us! I like things done around the house "my way." I have learned to flex a little bit. Craig is much more laid back. Messes don't stress him out as much as they do me :)