Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Little Freaked Out!

The other day I noticed that Tate had cut his 9th tooth! He has been a drooling mess and awfully fussy so I know he is cutting several. Just before we left for Muscatine today, I noticed that Tate felt a bit warm so I gave him some Motrin and he fell asleep shortly thereafter in the car on the way to Muscatine. He didn't sleep well. His head kept bobbing up and down and occassionally he would open his eyes...I blamed this on the carseat being so upright and it just appeared that he couldn't get comfy. Once we got to Mom and Dad's, he was a bit more chipper and began to play and crawl around, but about an hour and a half after arriving, he started getting fussy again. He hadn't eaten a very good lunch and for some reason acted as though he didn't like the food he was eating which was odd because it was food that I know he likes. Anyway, I decided around 4:30 that he was fussing because he was probably hungry so I fed him some raviolis which he gobbled down quickly. Then, we all decided to go out for Mexican and so we planned to feed Tate some more food there...rice and beans are some of his favorite foods! :) We got to the restaurant and tried to feed him some rice and beans which he immediately spit out and acted repulsed by...this was odd. We tried to get him to drink some milk...no luck. In addition to not eating well all day, he had up to this point only drank about 3 ounces of fluid all day. I decided he must not be feeling well - poor baby! We headed to Cassie and Paul's after dinner and I was relaxing on the couch holding Ayla and Sean said, "hey Jennie, look at Tate, he looks like he's convulsing!" Sean was right, he DID look like he was convulsing...he wasn't, his whole body was just shivering from his core and his lips were looking a little blue...I immediately freaked out! He couldn't stop shivering, but when I felt him, he was pretty hot and obviously had a fever. In the next 15 minutes he just started feeling hotter and hotter. We gave him some Tylenol and he fell asleep in my arms (a very rare occurance!) for about 1/2 an hour. I tend to worry a lot and so I am glad that my Dad, a medical professional, was there to assure me that Tate was fine, he is just obviously sick and had the chills from his fever. The blue lips are actually pretty common for him when he gets cold, so that wasn't what scared me the most. I was still (and still am a bit) freaked out, but when we got back to Mom and Dad's, Tate ate some yogurt and drank a little water and his fever went down, he got color back in his lips and he ended up playing and being his happy self. I think we just need to keep medicine in him. We will definitely be keeping an extra close eye on him until we know he is completely better! I hope that he starts to feel better and is happy for Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Jennie Peakin said...

Lora,
I don't want to expose any of you to his bug, but I would still love to come up to the QC for a short while today if possible. I'll get ahold of you after Tate is up and around for the day (he had a BAD night) and I see how he is. I wouls probably just have Sean stay here with him and make a quick trip up alone.

sarak said...

Poor Tater Tot! I hope its not a catchy virus! It seems that someone always gets sick on Thanksgiving. Hopefully he will shake it off! Have a GREAT day with your family! I'm sure there will be lots of laughs and snuggles for the grandkids:)
Take care!
Sara