Friday, October 19, 2007

Nap Issues

So today I decided that Tate may be ready to just take 1 nap a day. I think we may try it tomorrow and Sunday and see how it works. Currently Tate wakes up around 7:00 in the morning and goes back down for a morning nap around 9:00 and sleeps for 2 hours, then he goes down for an afternoon nap around 3:00 and sleeps for about an hour and a half and he's good until bedtime at 8:30. Lately though he has not seemed tired at his morning nap time. He rubs his eyes, but isn't whiny or anything, but he always goes down without any fight and sleeps for 2 hours. The afternoon nap has always been a little bit more of a struggle. He tends to cry or sometimes just talk himself to sleep. He's been known to be awake for a half hour sometimes before he finally goes to sleep for his afternoon nap. Well, these last 2 days have been difficult. Yesterday he was so tired and almost fell asleep in the car right before his nap. He was yawning and rubbing his eyes like crazy, but when I layed him down he cried for about 20 minutes before he went to sleep and then only slept for 25 minutes! So I thought I would leave him in there for a bit to see if he went back to sleep, but that just wasn't happening. I got him up and he did fine until bedtime. Today, was a similar situation. He slept great during his morning nap, then when I put him down (which he seemed obviously tired) for his afternoon nap, he cried and cried and cried and finally went to sleep. He was sawing logs...I could hear through the monitor. He slept for 25 minutes again! Then he was awake and rearing to go. I got him up and again, he was fine until bedtime. Does this mean that I should push back his morning nap and just have him take one nap? I am hesitant to do that because he takes such a great morning nap and always goes right to sleep so I hate to push it back another several hours. I don't know, this parenting stuff isn't as easy as it looks! :) Ha. We'll see how it goes these next couple of days.

5 comments:

sarak said...

I'd just give him lunch around 11-11:30 and then put him down for his one nap a day. He may sleep for 2 hrs or so or longer. That way he is awake longer in the morning yet has the energy in the evening. I can't believe he was still taking 2 naps at one year! That's crazy!
I'll chat with ya later-
sara

Sara said...

Jack still takes two naps. Our doctor said that is normal. She said some kids just require more sleep. Both of Jack's naps are 2 1/2 -3 hours. Thanks for the diaper advice. I'm going to have to try some other brands. We may try the Acidophilus too.

Jennie Peakin said...

Ya, our doctor said that he would probably continue to take 2 naps for another few months, but we'll see how this one nap thing goes.

Anonymous said...

yep, i'd put him down around noon. maybe he'll sleep 3 hours. as he gets older, he'll need the afternoon nap, so i'd go towards that.

Gretchen said...

Sounds like Tate and Hayden are on the same schedule. Hayden just kind of took himself off of his morning nap. He eats at 11 and then is down for his afternoon nap at 12:30 for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I think it is normal for him to take 2 naps still. Hayden changed suddenly from 2 2 hour naps a day to one nap. A lot of children we know take 2 naps still and they are 14 months and older.