Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Our Thanksgiving Day

I've never been much of a Thanksgiving person. I mean, I like it...it's just not been in my top 3 favorite holidays. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE food and I love spending time with family even more, but it seems that whenever we spend time with family, there's always good food. So it's like we get Thanksgiving several times a year! :)
So when we have NO plans for a feast on Thanksgiving Day, it's just not that disappointing to me! Plus, we celebrated already on Sunday with Sean's family and had a great time!

This year, we have NO plans for Thanksgiving Day. My parents are in Florida, my sister and her family are with her in-laws, Sean's siblings are with their in-laws, Sean's parents have plans with family, my brother LIVES in Florida and we are home. Sean is off work and we are super excited for our day! We will probably eat pizza or something and plan to spend the day putting up and decorating our Christmas tree. Then, we are going to the Festival of Trees here in Davenport in the evening. I don't do Black Friday shopping...in fact, you probably couldn't PAY me to go out to the stores on Black Friday! However, I AM venturing out to go to Family Christian on Friday morning. Not too early, but just when I get up and around. There are some extremely great sales on a few items that I was planning on buying anyway, so I am JUST going there...that's it, nowhere else.

Despite our lack of the traditional feast and extended family on the day of Thanksgiving, there will be no lack of thankfulness. I try and recognize every day of the year all of my blessings and all I have to be thankful for. In the midst of daily life stresses and chaos though, I don't always remember to focus on my blessings. I always remember to do so on Thanksgiving...so even though we won't be sitting at a big table with a bunch of family feasting on a turkey tomorrow, I will spend my day being thankful.

I could go on and on about all I have to be thankful for...the best family, friends, health, love, freesom and most importantly, God's grace and love that I do not deserve, but is given to me anyway.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

No comments: