Saturday, April 10, 2010

we live here

This new chapter in our lives here in Davenport still feels like a vacation! Sean and I drove around the Quad Cities today checking things out and just familiarizing ourselves with our surroundings. We kept saying, "I can't believe we live here!" It just is so strange to be living in a whole new city after being in Des Moines for 9 years (and over 10 years for Sean!). We are really starting to make our new home feel like home by hanging things on the walls and clearing out the boxes. Tate is getting more comfortable as well.

Then, we drove the whole 5 minutes in takes to get to DeCook's house and ate homemade pizza for supper and the guys played basketball, the kids played and Lora and I drank wine and chatted. It was so nice! It felt like the weekends we would just come and visit and then have to leave a day or two later feeling like we wished we lived closer to them and could hang out with them all the time! Now, that is happening and when we left, we got to drive the short 5 minute drive home. It's just not sunk in that we live here yet.

Tomorrow, we are heading to Muscatine to do some car shopping (I wasn't kidding about getting rid of my Ford!), see my family and possibly make some covers for our living room pillows. And again, it's only a 1/2 hour drive to get there!

Sean has a sort of crazy work schedule this week. Typically he works 3 days in a row, but this is a different week for him. He will work Sunday and then Wednesday and Thursday. And he starts the dreaded nights this week...ugh! Hopefully that will go okay for him. He tried to "practice" last night and stayed up until 5am!!! Then he only slept until 10ish this morning so he couldn't make it past 11:45 tonight. I think he plans to try to stay up uber later tomorrow night and then either sleep in or get up at a decent time and then take a several hour nap in the afternoon so that he can make it through his night shift. We'll see how it goes. I think that until his body gets used to it and he comes up with a sleeping routine that will work for him, it will be hard.

Tate still continues to adjust a little more each day. However, 2 nights ago he had terrible night terrors and so I was up dealing with that for several hours in the night. Then last night he wouldn't go to sleep in his bed and was shaking and scared to death and so I caved and let him sleep in bed with me. :) He slept great though and tonight didn't complain about sleeping in his room at all. He's sound asleep in there as I type this.

So now I am heading to bed myself...in Davenport...where we live now...in our new home...weird! I'm really enjoying the newness of all of this still! How long before you think it will sink in that we live here?

No comments: