Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Something to Think About

As Henry Nouwen writes:

"Many of my daily preoccupations suggest that I belong more to the world than to God. A little criticism make me angry, and a little rejection makes me depressed. A little praise raises my spirits, and a little success excites me. It takes very little to raise me up or thrust me down. Often I am like a small boat on the ocean, completely at the mercy of its waves. All the time and energy i spend in keeping some kind of balance and preventing myself from being tipped over and drowning shows that my life is mostly a struggle for survival: not a holy struggle, but an anxious struggle resulting from the mistaken idea that it is the world that defines me. . .As long as I keep looking for my true self in the world of conditional love, I will remain “hooked” to the world–trying, failing, and trying again. It is a world that fosters addictions because what it offers cannot satisfy the deepest craving of my heart."

I stole this from someone's blog. I loved it! I needed to hear it! Thought some of you out there may like it as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is so true!!! It is not as easy for some to realize their addictions to this world, thankfully God throws out many words or acts of wisdom so IF the addicted would just pay attention, you know?!! It's tough to not be swayed by the "world" even as I know better, I fail over and over again with my same struggles!! Frustrating to me that I am such a slow learner at times....ugh!! This is a GREAT reminder.... I love it!!! :-)